As a public service to those who don't understand how the MLS playoffs work, I will explain.
- The MLS is split into two conferences, Eastern and Western.
- Eight teams qualify for the playoffs at the end of the regular season.
- The top two teams from each conference qualifies for the playoffs.
- The remaining four teams with the highest point totals, regardless of what conference the team is in, qualifies for the final playoff spots
- The playoffs have two rounds before the championship, known as the MLS Cup.
- The first round of the playoffs aggregate goals over two matches determine the winner
2007 MLS Playoff match-ups: