Monday, January 30, 2006

Everyone will miss you Brett...honest

While yesterday I did say that I would try and expand into other sports…away from football, I must write about the stories that pop up.
Brett Favre appeared on Sportscenter last night, a one on one interview with Chris Mortensen. First off this should have been a red flag to those who know anything about Favre…he never does more interviews then he needs to. Remember that multiple times this season he skipped out on talking with the media after games. But if you can get past that, we can move on to what he said…and why it spells out, “I’m done.”
To give a brief overview of the interview…Favre basically said that he’s not sure what he’s going to do…but he’ll probably arrive at his decision in the next month as to allow the packers time to plan. That he physically is still able to play, but mentally that might not be the case. In a nut shell, he’s saying he’s ready to give it up for all intensive purposes. And for those still on the fence, the lines “If I had to pick right now and make a decision, I would say I'm not coming back,” and he commented that he wasn’t sure if he wanted the ball in crunch time with two minutes left…those should tell you all you need to know.
If I’m the coach of a team…I want my QB…my field general…to want the ball when the game is on the line. He can win or lose…but he wants the ball. That competitive fire is something that a leader of a team needs. Michael Jordan wanted the ball when the game was on the line, even though he missed more last second shots then he made, Ray Lewis wanted to be in the middle of the defense on the goal line with 1 second on the clock.
Don’t misconstrue what I’m saying though, I’m not ripping Favre. Favre deserves to retire if he wants to, he’s been through a lot and he’s had a great career. Brett is a first ballot Hall of Famer, he’s a top 20 all time QB, he’s done everything there is to do. The packers are rebuilding…Favre will not get to another superbowl…there’s nothing left for him. Brett you’ve had a great career…in all seriousness if you want to see your daughter graduate from H.S. and spend time at home on a tracter, who are we to tell you no.
In my life I have seen a lot of football games, and living in Wisconsin a lot of them were packer games. Now I will admit, I’m a Bears supporter…but I’ve always respected Favre. The performance he put on December 22 of 2003, only one day after his father died…on the road…on Monday Night Football...is the greatest performance I have ever seen by a QB on a football field…quite possibly the greatest sports performance I’ve seen live with my own eyes.
Brett we’ll miss you, yes even us Bears fans. Do what you want to do…don’t wait for Ted Thompson to “cut you loose.” Go home, see your family…your legacy will always be remembered…no doubt about it.

No comments: