Don’t get me wrong, I understand that the Draft isn’t always an exact science, and yes I know that there have been draft busts and there will continue to be busts in the future. Before we continue I’d like to give you my Top NFL Draft busts of all time…just to give you an idea of who we’re talking about.
7. Penn State Running Backs (excluding Larry Johnson) - various positions over the years - For some reason Joe Papa's RB just don't translate to the pro game (see Ki-Jana Carter & Curtis Enius)
6. Aundray Bruce – LB drafted #1 1988 Atlanta Falcons – The falcons have made a lot of bad picks, this is the worst…recorded just 4 sacks in only 4 season with Atlanta
5. Tony Mandarich - OL drafted #2 1989 Green Bay Packers - Hailed as the greatest offensive line prospect in history...he never lived up to the hype that sports publications made. Why he's not higher? He wasn't bad, he just wasn't as good as everyone was told he was. He could have been a servicable NFL Offensive lineman. by the way, the next three picks in the 1989 draft...Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, and Deion Sanders.
4. Todd Marinovich - QB drafted #24 overall Oakland Raiders - From birth Marinovich was breed to be an NFL QB. His dad tied his right arm behind his back when he was an infant so he would be a lefty! He couldn't handle the mental strains of an NFL QB...and he wasn't that good either.
3. Akili Smith - QB drafted #3 overall Cincinnati Bangals - Doomed from the start, he almost went ahead of Tim Couch and Donovan McNabb, there was no chance for him. Not only was he drafted by the Bengals, where until recently, has been where college stars go to die...but he was coached by Jeff Tedford...nuff said.
2. Brian "The Boz" Bosworth - LB supplmental draft 1987 Seattle Seahawks - The Boz was a master a self promotion...he knew how to sell himself...with his haircut, his mannerisms, he tried to be the second coming of Muhammad Ali, he wasn't. He's now trying to make it as an actor (most recently in the remake of The Longest Yard) but he will forever be haunted by images of Bo Jackson...you know what i'm talking about.
1. Ryan Leaf - QB drafted #2 overall 1998 San Diego Chargers - Leaf defined the term draft bust...can you believe there was a time when people had serious discussions on who was better Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf?